Monday, March 24, 2008

I just realized...

that exactly 3 years ago today, we got the call. Our donor was ready and we had to fly to NYC from Texas the next day for retrieval and Evan's 'offering'...it was a Thursday, we left Friday and the meeting of DE & Evan's sperm took place that Saturday - my 47th birthday! We took a car service at 6am out to NJ to the clinic. The waiting room of RMANJ was packed. That evening we went to a cocktail party and when we got back to the apt, Evan had to start giving me the progesterone shots - he was so nervous he almost puked! Of course, I was busy numbing the injection site with a bag of frozen peas. Then 3 days later, we went back out to the clinic for the transfer and the rest is history. (I remember drinking so much FIJI water and feeling so bloated and miserable because I had to pee so very badly right before hand. An Enya CD was playing and I kept thinking "Save the whales, save the whales, save the whales". When they finally finished the procedure, I just let it all out - all over the floor. TMI.) We spent 10 days in NYC in a friend's 5th floor walk-up and I remember visiting the art galleries in Chelsea the day after transfer. The Basquiat show was in Brooklyn. We ate steak-frites at Schiller's. I bought a skirt at Comme des Garcons. Talk about not laying low...
But they put back 4 and we came out with 2.
Whew - now the twins are 2 1/2 and we're looking at pre-schools.
With so many thanks to our anonymous donor...
What a long strange trip it's been and promises to be:)

1 comment:

La Turista said...

What a way to spend your birthday! That's a great story.