Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Why we do it...

For those of you with kids - or not - we all must at one time or another think about why we do it. Sometimes I think that it's just so we don't have to think about the shitty things in our lives...paying bills, medical issues, buying, selling, food, clothes, lodging...how WE feel, what we look like, getting enough sleep. The days when I just want to crawl in bed under the covers and not leave my house, when I can't decide what to wear or how to grow my business, when my personal life feels flat, when my intellectual challenges hold no interest or I can't muster the strength, time or space to be creative - I just look at them. My kids.

There are all kinds of reasons why people have/raise children: to carry on the family tradition/name, the biological clock-yearning thing, because it's what humans do - bla, bla, bla...

I really think it boils down to making us think about something other than ourselves. I no longer matter except on an existential level.(yes, sure a happy, healthier me will add inspire and nourish the development and growth of my twins) But I can tell everyone out there to just "Leave me alone" so that I can concentrate on the wellbeing of my little creatures. Isn't it great?

Just a thought. Sorry for the ramblings.

1 comment:

La Turista said...

I agree. If you think your life doesn't change when you have kids, you're totally missing it, because *newsflash* the whole world does not revolve around you! And even on the hard days, I just think about how temporary the child-rearing period really is, and it makes me appreciate the whole thing even more.