Friday, April 20, 2007

La Baguette Quartette

Finally! I am so excited...our family can be the "Baguette Quartette". Having lived in France for years, I still tend to buy a baguette when I go the market. On a weekly basis here in Texas, I have seen many a baguette get too hard and crispy to eat after the first day or so. Years ago I even cracked a tooth when eating a tartine with butter and cheese for a snack. Unless there was a concerted effort made with Evan to eat the entire thing, it would often harden before we could finish. It became a point of contention. Evan, who hates to waste food, would berate me for not buying a soft italian loaf that could be easily toasted in the following days.

But now, we have two more members in our family. I can buy a baguette at the store and even before we arrive home, break off a morsel and the twins can gnaw on a chewy piece. They love to eat their baguette plain or with a bit of brie or butter. When preparing dinner, they can wander around clutching a little crispy piece in their hands. We have become a baguette family! The loaf that was purchased and enjoyed yesterday was finished off for breakfast this morning.

Oh the life of the Baguette Quartette...such a happy family!
Next step: foie gras.

3 comments:

Karla said...

You are too funny.....

La Turista said...

Oh yes - the baguette, butter, cheese combo kept me quite happy as I hopped trains throughout Europe one summer. Really, such a simple treat, but it just doesn't taste the same when I try to recreate it here. Must be the crappy Yankee butter.

toxomaman said...

beurre Président or d'Isigny at Whole Foods!ok!