Friday, March 2, 2007

Trying to continue...

It's hard to recap the past 17 months of the lives of my twins but I'll try.

My husband and I were (are) lucky...we did it in one try - the fertility thing that is. I became pregnant, we found out it was with twins, one boy and one girl. I was not a comfortable pregnant woman...being slim I tried to eat like a horse to gain the weight that they needed to grow inside of me. It was also Texas in the summertime so it was hot. I ate, I slept, I swam.
EEV, my husband, practically chained me to the house so as to insure the safety of our precious fetuses. Guarded safely by our 2 loyal dobermans, an ailing Sasha who died 10 days before the birth of the twins and a feisty Coco who could only anticipate the new additions to the household, I longed for the days of attending (non-alcoholic!) cocktail parties and looking glowingly cute in my maternity clothes. But those days never came.

As we checked off the weeks of advancing in the 3rd trimester, one day I went swimming, that night I started to spot and cramp...the next day in to see the OB/GYN and admitted to the hospital.
I gave birth by C-section at 10:26pm and 10:27pm to our babies with 14 people in the room. Creed came out at 2lbs 1 oz and 14 1/2 inches long. Zelda was 2 lbs 1oz and 14 1/4 inches. They were born at 26weeks and 5 days. The reason for their early arrival was described as "non-reassuring fetal status". No one knew at that point that they were ill.

No comments: