Saturday, September 12, 2009

The cancer confession...

Forgive me doctors, it's been 2 months since my last treatment...I finished in July. Sometimes, I can almost forget what I've been through, but now, the "new normal" begins. I'll see my oncologist this month for my first checkup since chemo ended. I'll see my surgeon for a follow-up as well.

I run, run, run during the week without giving cancer a second thought until the fatigue creeps up and bites me in the ass. I collapse. I shiver. I ache. I feel a sore throat coming on. I crawl into bed at odd times for a few hours rest. I don't feel as strong as I used to before all of this happened.

My skin is still dry, my lips constantly chapped and my nails are brittle. I still take an anti-depressant. My digestive system continues to surprise and confuse me. My hair is coming back. I think "Jean Seberg", Evan says "Steve McQueen". I dread "Jamie Lee Curtis".

I see a bald woman at the market and I smile and say "Nice haircut, mine was like that a few months ago." Her partner says, "See, it WILL grow back." I wish her strength as I continue on through the produce aisle.

I have been asked to give a speech as the Honorary Chairperson at the BCRC (Breast Cancer Resource Center) Annual Brunch on September 27th. Me and Rue McClanahan from the Golden Girls. Sure, we're survivors. We survived the treatment. But, we're fighters, too...and we continue...

1 comment:

DJ Hodge said...

"we're fighters, too...and we continue..."

Samn straight!